Nowadays, we depend on WiFi a lot. And a router alone is not enough to fill every nook and cranny of your home or office with fast-speed WiFi. That’s why users opt for WiFi range extenders to enhance their existing WiFi range. When it comes to WiFi extenders, Netgear is the most trusted brand. As per some vague reports, around three out of five users make use of a Netgear WiFi range extender to extend their existing home router’s WiFi signals to provide the whole-home coverage.
Despite the fact that Netgear extender is a fabulous device to get a blazing-fast WiFi speed, various users experience dozens of issues with it. ‘Netgear extender not accepting password’ is one of such issues.
After Netgear extender setup, when users try to connect their WiFi devices to the new, extended wireless network, they are required to enter a password. But as soon as they enter the password, an error message saying ‘password is incorrect’ pops up. If you are too facing the ‘Netgear extender won’t accept password’ issue, this post is just for you. Here, we have mentioned some workarounds to get rid of this issue within a matter of minutes. Let’s take the plunge.
Why My Netgear Extender Won’t Accept Password?
There are many reasons why your Netgear WiFi range extender won’t accept password. A few of them are outlined below:
- You are connecting to a wrong network
- The entered password contains typing errors
- You have forgotten the password
- Maybe someone else has changed the network password without your knowledge
- The extender is running on an older firmware version
- Improper cable connections
- Your Netgear extender has not set up properly
Whatever the reason is, the below-mentioned ways will help you out fix ‘Netgear extender won’t recognize password’ issue.
Resolved: Netgear Extender Not Accepting Password
1. Connect to the Correct WiFi Network
Chances are that you might have accidentally selected another network to connect instead of your Netgear extender’s network. Obviously, that network will not accept the password you have entered.
Therefore, be vigilant while connecting your devices to the extender’s WiFi network.
2. Enter the Correct Network Password
When you type the network password in the Passphrase field, you will see dots rather than the entered alphabets, symbols, or numbers. So even if you have mistakenly entered any wrong alphabet, you won’t get to know.
Hence, it is recommended to click on the ‘show password’ option after entering the complete password. That’s how you can know whether you have entered the correct passphrase or not.
3. Find Your WiFi Password
Maybe someone else has changed your extender’s wireless network password without your knowledge. So in such a case, you are recommended to find your network password and change it right away.
To find the extender’s WiFi network password,
- Launch a web browser of your choice on a computer or laptop.
- Type mywifiext into the address bar and hit Enter.
- A login window will appear.
- Input the default username and password.
- Hit Log In.
- Go to the Wireless Settings section.
- Look for the WiFi Password option.
On the off chance if it says ‘same as existing network password’, it means that it is using the same WiFi password as that of the main router. Now, you can change it to something else.
4. Update the Netgear Extender’s Firmware
Another solution to resolve the ‘WiFi range extender won’t accept router password’ is to update your extender’s firmware to the latest version. Here’s how you can update your Netgear WiFi range extender’s firmware:
- Go to the Download Center of Netgear and search for your extender’s firmware. For instance, if you are using Netgear AC1200 WiFi range extender, search for AC1200 firmware.
- If you found any new firmware update available for your extender, download that on your desktop.
- Now, log in to your Netgear range extender and upload the downloaded firmware file.
- Wait for the Netgear extender firmware update to be completed.
Here you go! One of the aforementioned solutions will definitely help you fix the ‘Netgear extender not accepting password’ issue.